Work Visa, is one of China Visa types, as well known as Residence Permit, also called as Z Visa by foreigners.
Work visa is the only legal permit to foreigners who want to work and stay in China legally, and also the longest visa in China except permanent permit.
Work visa will be released to foreigners who come to invest or work in China, and it has different period between 1 year to 5 years based on different conditions.
The detailed requirement is not same at different cities in China.
We just provide visa service for foreigners in Shanghai, so let's share with you the visa rules in Shanghai here.
Top! Visa New Rules in Shanghai_May 2016
According to new rules in Shanghai in 2016, the enterprise shall satisfy the following requirements in order to apply for work visa / Residence permit for foreigners.
1. Must have physical office
2. Must have physical office landline, mobile is not enough
3. Company’s original licenses checking ,75% checking rate depends on officer’s evaluation.
Foreign labor service center, exit-entry administration bureau and local police station will possible visit you for physical office checking directly. The visa application will be rejected in case of any discrepancy to reported information.
4. Company’s user card (Click here_How to apply for company's user card ?)
Agency’s user card will be cancelled step by step which will be instead of company’s own user card onwards. Suggest to apply for the user card in time if you already meet above requirements.
The first conditions for work visa application:
There are total two situation for foreigners who wants to get China work visa in Shanghai.
1. Being employed in Shanghai
1) Having more than 2 years related work experience after university graduated;
2) Healthy and have no criminal record;
3) Being employed as manager or higher job position;
4) Age limitation: Male between 25 to 60 years old, Female between 25 to 55 years old;
5) The employer of the applicant operate business legally and agrees to provide required documents for visa process.
2. Being investor or legal representative of a Shanghai company
1) No requirement on education background;
2) No age limitation;
3) No requirement on work experience;
4) Healthy and have no criminal record;
5) The Shanghai company operate their business legally.
The three main sections to be examined by visa authorities:
1. Foreigner's personal qualification;
2. Shanghai company's qualification;
3. Others examined by related authorities according to China laws and regulations.
Basic required materials:
Passport, C.V, university certificate, photos, work experience certificate or work recommendation letter, police registration form, health checking report, labor contract and employer's company licenses.
Please feel free to contact us for more details.
Application process for Work Visa application:
1. Employment license: 15 working days
2. Official invitation letter: 8 working days
3. Foreigner come to Shanghai with Z visa released by China embassy;
4. Foreigner to apply for Police Registration Form within 24 hours after arrived at Shanghai;
5. Medical checking (earlier appointment): 4 working days
6. Employment permit: 5 working days
7. Residence permit: 7 working days (support only as foreigner must be available in person)
1. Above lead time is normal examination time, it's possible to be prolong if any query by officers.
2. As company investor or legal representative, the process is different, it’s faster without leaving China to get work visa finally, sensitive nationality excluded.
Permanent Residence Permit
It's a new rule released on July 1st, 2015, some foreigners has chance to apply for permanent Residence Permit.
1. Has been working in Shanghai for four successive years, and the period of physical residence in China each year in the four years should reach 6 months or more;
2. The annual income from wage and salary before taxes for four successive years should outnumber RMB 600,000;
3. Individual Income tax paid annually should no less than RMB 120,000;
4. Being recommended by current working unit/ employer.
Accompanying spouse and Children under the age of 18 who is not married of the applicant meeting the qualifications stated above can apply for corresponding permanent residence permit at the same time.
Every foreigner should have different situations, please email your situation to firstname.lastname@example.org or call us for quick support.